Download Vishva Times App – Live News, Entertainment, Sports, Politics & More
Ingredients (makes 20-22)
To make vadas:
Moong dal ¾ cup
Oil to deep fry
To soak the vadas:
Water 4 cups
Salt 1 tsp
To make kanji:
Red chilli powder ½ tbsp
Mustard powder 2½ tbsp
Turmeric powder ½ tbsp
Salt 1½ tbsp
Asafoetida ¼ tsp
Water 8 cups / 2 lt
Method of preparation
- Clean and wash the lentil (moong dal). Soak the lentils in 3 cups of water for about 4 hours.
- Grind the lentils in the grinder with a little water.
- Whisk the batter thoroughly till it becomes light.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium heat. Pour about 1 table spoon of lentil batter in the oil at a time, to make vadas. Deep fry the vadas on medium heat till they become golden pink. (takes about 7-8 mins).
- Take the vadas out on the kitchen paper.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- Now soak the vadas in warm water. Add 1 tea spoon salt in the water and let the vadas get soft.
- Vadas will leave all the extra water in the oil and will soak the water. Take out the vadas from the water by pressing gently between your palms. Keep aside.
To Make Kanji
In a bowl take turmeric powder, mustard powder, red chili, salt, asafoetida (heeng). Add about ½ cup of water and mix all the spices well.
Now mix this spice paste in about 7½ cups of water. Mix well.
Soak the squeezed vadas in this spicy mustard water. Keep the bowl in a warm place.
It takes about 2-4 days (depending on the weather) for this spiced water to turn sour.